Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness Week 2022: 'See The Person'// Tues 27th September 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

Dear @puzzlingdino @M_P90 ,

In terms of working with professionals, for me, I have an Advance Statement in place (in Victoria) so that my treatment preferences are in 'the system' for if I ever have an admission, or have certain treatments/therapy.

In my own Advance Statement, I had the opportunity to detail treatment style preferences, gender of treating team, what DOESN'T work for me, and what DOES work for me.

At first I thought, 'no one would even care about this piece of paper'. But lo and behold, during an admission, the unit manager themselves, brought out the advance statement out to me and explained why some of my preferences could be honoured while others could not. It was the most comprehensive discussion I've had, and I felt like I was heard - that I was a human! And all because of that piece of paper!

Re: Topic Tuesday// Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness Week 2022: 'See The Person'// Tues 27th September 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

Hello @BPDSurvivor. @TideisTurning , @Alex_Spectrum , @Former-Member , @M_P90 , @Determined 

@TideisTurning @M_P90 @puzzlingdino @Fluttershy1 

Has stigma impacted seeking support. How did you deal with that? 

Arghhh…stigma. Yes. Stigma is very much attached to BPD. I’ve felt it, I’ve heard about it, I’ve been told about it, and I’ve read about it.

I was once told by a mental health clinician that at their service, as soon as they see a diagnosis of BPD, they do not accept the client….hrm. That left me thinking. Aren’t these the people who regularly turn up emergency departments? Aren’t these the people who have active thoughts of suicide? Aren’t these some of the most vulnerable people that services SHOULD be helping?

and within the next day or two, I was discharged with no ongoing care or support. Why? Stigma.

Stigma stinks.

So how did I deal with it? Once again, I was one of the lucky ones. I was placed on a waitlist for a BPD clinic. I’m not sure how long I waited, but I was accepted. If anything, the clinic waited for me. I kept pushing my appointments off – I think I was anxious and I didn’t know what to expect?

Finally, I received a letter that if I didn’t engage, they’d take me off the list. That made me make an appointment. And this is where my recovery begins. I had to reach out and make the effort.

HI Mum @Shaz51 ! Great to have you!

Hi @Shaz51! Welcome, great to see you here 😊

@M_P90 I totally agree that it's important to be aware of the power imbalance inherent in a treatment relationship. Being reflective and aware is a really important part of good practice! 

Hi @Fluttershy1 ,

As @Alex_Spectrum has mentioned in his post, he is one of those people who WANT to work with people with BPD! 

And yes, there are others too!

Hi @Shaz51 great to have you!

Hi @kellee , @Abner 

Do you have any questions you'd like to ask about this topic of BPD and 'See the Person'?

Given some of the other experiences it sounds like you've had with stigma around seeking treatment @BPDSurvivor , it is no wonder to me that you had some reluctance to engage when you were accepted for treatment. I'm so glad to hear you were linked in with a patient team who could offer you that patience, support and understanding you & everyone, deserves ❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance